This page is a working place for Incubator admins and bureaucrats. It provides useful information, and describes what to do for some general maintenance tasks, to make our work easier for ourselves.
Do not hesitate to add useful links or information here.
- Category:Maintenance:Delete (7 pages/categories to be deleted)
- I:RFD. See also #To be deleted per I:RFD below.
- Special:ShortPages - those with 0 bytes or so. Note: these should almost always wait 3–7 days before deletion; sometimes, people create blanks first, then fill them in.
- Incubator:Community Portal
- Incubator:Administrators' noticeboard
- Check ISO639 codes (0 language codes unchecked)
- Check new test wiki root pages (70 pages with
|status = tocreate)
- Incubator:Requests for starting a test
- New page patrol (hiding patrolled edits)
- Special:BrokenRedirects. Note: broken redirects of root pages from old codes to new codes are effectively whitelisted, even though they appear on this error report. You can just leave them alone.
- Special:DoubleRedirects. Note: these are rarely here long, as global bots tend to fix them rapidly.
- Following tools are not being maintained. If you are able and interested, please contact @StevenJ81.
What to do to give a user test-admin rights? - for bureaucrats
- Step 1: go to Special:Userrights and give them the rights, set to expire in one year.
- Step 2: update MediaWiki:Administrated test wikis.json (be very careful with editing JSON text!)
Expiration of test-admin rightsEdit
If a test-admin does not request and receive a renewal of test-admin rights, the rights will automatically be removed after one year (if you've done Step 1 correctly above). You still need to remove the user manually from MediaWiki:Administrated test wikis.json. To prolong test-admin rights, use Special:Userrights in the same way as above, and update the JSON page.
For translation administratorsEdit
- Check Special:PageTranslation for pages requiring updated marking for translation.
New wiki createdEdit
Once creation of the new wiki is finishedEdit
- Deflag test-wiki administrators. It is courteous, though not strictly necessary, to notify them, and even give them a 1–2 week window to check that everything was done correctly. Once they are warned, their rights expiration date can be changed to reflect the date in the notification. Alternatively, simply wait until the date in the notification arrives and manually remove the rights. Finally, once the rights have been withdrawn, don't forget to remove the test from MediaWiki:Administrated test wikis.json.
- Note also that some test administrators will continue to have test-admin status on other tests. In that case, their rights should be left alone, though that particular entry in the .json file is still deleted.
- Deleting the test. There is usually no hurry to delete the Incubator copy of a test that has been exported.
- There is good reason to wait at least one month, and maybe as much as 3–6 months, to make sure that there was nothing left behind during the export process. Things can always be retrieved later, but this makes it easier for people to look for things they think might be missing.
- Additionally, it is usually worthwhile to keep at least one recently exported test-wiki until a newer test-wiki has been exported. The reason for that is that we are asked (occasionally) how certain pages are handled before and after the export–especially in the Project: and Help: namespaces. So to have both Wp/qdp/Help:Contents and qdp:Help:Contents available to compare is worthwhile.
- When you are ready to delete the test-wiki, simply delete all pages - except the info page. The gadget Special:MassDelete will save you a lot of work. There is no need to archive anything.
What to do when a test has to be deleted per I:Requests for deletions?
- Step 1: Export all pages through Special:Export (provided the test is not vandalism or nonsense)
- Step 2: Save the XML file somewhere (on your PC)
- Step 3: Upload the XML file to Incubator using Special:Upload [Requires bureaucrat rights, which are available to anyone who has been an administrator at least one month]
- Step 4: Delete the test (using Special:MassDelete, available through the gadget MassDelete – manually, it's a lot of work!)
- See Incubator:Software information and news for usage help; see mw:Extension:WikimediaIncubator for documentation.
(Expand to see history)
6 June 2011:initial deployment of RC, preference, ViewUserLang, RandomByTest 22 August 2011: deployment of improvements to existing features; plus MyMainPage, per-wiki logo, welcome page for non-existing welcome pages, pages of existing wikis referring to the subdomain, ... 21 September 2011: deployment of Babel extension 26 September 2011: deployment of MediaWiki 1.18 12 December 2011: search improvements (search in test wiki and show message to create prefixed page); ListUsers per test wiki preference 21 December 2011: redirect script (for missing wikis) in SVN (~ Danny B./Robin) 23 February 2012: MediaWiki 1.19 deployment to Incubator. 25 April 2012: MediaWiki 1.20wmf1 deployment (Incubator: Special:SearchWiki, MediaWiki:Wminc-error-help, page content language updates, ...) 2 May 2012: MediaWiki 1.20wmf2 deployment 16 May 2012: MediaWiki 1.20wmf3 deployment (probably includes TitleIsAlwaysKnown function: Wx/xyz info pages will be treated as existing pages) 29 May 2012: Interwiki extension will be enabled to view the Interwiki table. (Special:Interwiki) 30 May 2012: MediaWiki 1.20wmf4 deployment (automatic info page detects existing Main Pages) 13 June 2012: MediaWiki 1.20wmf5 deployment (a few small fixes, such as: subpage links will also be shown for dynamic info pages; language names are now lowercase where usual and preference is given to MediaWiki names over CLDR; WebFonts menu will now be a checkbox instead of a round button when there are no fonts to choose from; current language won't be a link in Special:Userlogin) 27 June 2012: MediaWiki 1.20wmf6 deployment (Babel box language correctly tagged, so e.g. WebFonts works on it) 11 July 2012: MediaWiki 1.20wmf7 deployment (Incubator: basic info page parser function) 11 July 2012: (S1) "grand finale" -> inputbox on www portals which goes via Special:SearchWiki 19 July 2012: Mobile interface for Incubator (and other sites) will be enabled (it will show text with id="mf-...") 25 July 2012: MediaWiki 1.20wmf8 deployment (Special:IncubatorFirstSteps; dates in sortable tables depend on page language; change Incubator preference option) 8 August 2012: MediaWiki 1.20wmf9 deployment (Some work on info page parser function; Image alignment follows the page content language; DateFormatter follows the page content language; new language Turoyo (tru); Uzbek (uz) language converter) 22 August 2012: MediaWiki 1.20wmf10 deployment (info pages logos are localised, test wiki logo feature actually works now, IncubatorFirstSteps can take "testwiki" parameter and the info page links to it if it's a missing wiki) 5 September 2012: MediaWiki 1.20wmf11 deployment (not much... e.g. bdi tag allowed; DoubleWiki RTL fix) 17 September 2012: enabling of $wgHtml5 19 September 2012: MediaWiki 1.20wmf12 deployment (datalist for test wiki language preference; autopatrol right for test-sysops) 3 October 2012: MediaWiki 1.21wmf1 deployment 17 October 2012: MediaWiki 1.21wmf2 deployment 31 October 2012: MediaWiki 1.21wmf3 deployment (forms no longer removed in mobile; Wikivoyage added to Incubator; action=info contains page content language) 14 November 2012: MediaWiki 1.21wmf4 deployment (few days ago: detection for existing Wikivoyages; Wikidata listed on info pages) 28 November 2012: MediaWiki 1.21wmf5 deployment 12 December 2012: MediaWiki 1.21wmf6 deployment 7 January 2013: MediaWiki 1.21wmf7 deployment (bug 39062) 23 January 2013: MediaWiki 1.21wmf8 deployment 6 February 2013: MediaWiki 1.21wmf9 deployment 13 March 2013: Sribunto (Lua) deployment
- Upcoming/planned features:
- redirects of langcode.wikiproject.org -> Incubator for all ISO 639 language codes
- (S2) info page parser function & better logo handling so all our info pages are in a good state -> in development & under review
- (S2) language names project: all +/- 7000 language names in core and make use if it for info pages & searchwiki -> in development & under review
|spam blacklist||blacklist (whitelist)|
|username blacklist (user registration)||blacklist|
|title blacklist (page creation)||blacklist (whitelist)|
- This documentation is incomplete.
- The preloaded text when creating info pages can be customised at MediaWiki:Wminc-infopage-prefill.
- The links on automatic info pages can be customised at MediaWiki:Wminc-infopage-links.
The NewUserMessage extension is enabled, so users are automatically "welcomed". Configuration:
|MediaWiki:Newuseredit-summary||Welcome to Wikimedia Incubator!|
- See also
|MediaWiki:Babel-autocreate-text-levels||Users in this category indicate they have skill level $1 for language $2 ($3).|
|MediaWiki:Babel-autocreate-text-main||Users in this category indicate they have knowledge of language $1 ($2).|
|MediaWiki:Babel||Babel user information|
|MediaWiki:Babel-footer||Users by language|
The MoodBar extension is enabled, so users can give feedback which will appear on Special:FeedbackDashboard. We used to have I:Feedback, which was not very successful.
mw:Extension:MoodBar was disabled in January 2017. All feedback at this point can go to I:CP.
The script is located in https://noc.wikimedia.org/conf/highlight.php?file=missing.php