Welcome to the Wikimedia Incubator! At the right there are some important links, and here are some tips and info:
- If you haven't created a user page yet, please create one with for example User language templates on it.
- You can select your interface language in your preferences.
- If you make articles, templates or categories, don't forget to add a prefix!
- If your knowledge of English is good, you can help with translating pages to other languages you know, so more people can understand it!
- If you want to translate the interface, please go to Betawiki, create an account and follow the instructions you will see.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask them on my talk page.
Hi! I don't speak Hawaian but I can try to help you with the creation of articles in there. Which ideas to you have for the dictionary? Are you thinking of creating a monolingual dictionary with words in Hawaian and their definition, a bilingual dictionary with translations of terms or a mixture of both? --Chabi1 (talk) 11:12, 20 August 2014 (UTC)
Aloha Chabi1, At this point, it would almost be best to have a section for the definition in Hawaiian and the definition in English. Hawaiian words are a bit complicated because most of them have figurative meanings and something we call "Kaona," the hidden meaning within things, so we would also have to have a section to explain this to English readers and whatnot. It just seems like a big task to me because I don't really know how to make templates for things and def. not a person knowledgeable in programming of any sort so any help is welcomed :) Mahalo nui, Kolonahe (talk) 07:10, 22 August 2014 (UTC)
So, as far as I can see, there will be three sections: the word in Hawaiian with its definition, the word in English with its definition and the section Kaona. Is that right? --Chabi1 (talk) 22:38, 22 August 2014 (UTC)
Categorising your pages edit
As it is a dictionary, I would recommend to categorise the pages of your wiki as such:
[[Category:Wt/haw/Olelo hawai First two letters of the word]] [[Category:Wt/haw/Olelo hawai MA]] for the page Mahalo.
I dont really see a point to categorizing them like that since each page will have definitions in Hawaiian and English. Even if we were to create English pages to translate the word, they would be stubs. In my opinion, the best way would to have disambiguation pages for a word to link to different Hawaiian words.