User talk:Laʒamon Æft-iboren
Welcome to Wikimedia Incubator!
At the right there are some important links, and here are some tips and info:
- If you haven't created a user page yet, please create one with for example Babel templates on it.
- You can select your interface language in your preferences.
- If you make articles, templates or categories, don't forget to add a prefix!
- If your knowledge of English is good, you can help with translating pages to other languages you know, so more people can understand them!
- If you want to translate the interface, please go to Translatewiki.net and follow their instructions.
-- Welcoming Bot 17:17, 7 February 2021 (UTC)
Are you fluent in Middle English? Edit
Hi, based on your edits and your username it looks like you are fluent in Middle English so I was wandering if my assumption is correct. Btw, if it isn’t that doesn’t mean you have to stop editing. Most of the editors (including me) are beginners. -Gifnk dlm 2020 (talk) 18:43, 13 February 2021 (UTC)
- @Gifnk dlm 2020, Hi, I'd say I'm pretty knowledgeable in it, having been learning it seriously for a few years, but I wouldn't claim to be truly fluent! Surely there can't be more than a handful of people in the whole world who could talk Middle English well without excessive pausing to construct their next sentence (without preparation beforehand). Also, I have studied (informally) early M.E. more than late M.E., so my knowledge of extinct Germanic words, idioms etc. is stronger than that of extinct loaned French ones. -Laʒamon Æft-iboren (talk) 12:28, 26 April 2021 (BST)
New user group - ALPES Ancient Language Promotion, Education and Support Edit
Hi, there’s a new user group about ancient languages, so I thought I ought to inform you in case you are interested in joining. It can Wb found here: meta:ALPES Ancient Language Promotion, Education and Support. -Gifnk dlm 2020 If only Middle English Wikipedia could be saved(talk) 13:24, 23 October 2021 (UTC)
Your username Edit
- Hi! Literally it translates as “Law-man Re-born”. Not because I’m a law-man of any kind – I’m not – but because “Laȝamon” was the name or pen-name of a late 12th century priest who was the first to recount the Arthurian legends (among other things) in English. And you're right, all the words derive from Old English (although “law” is ultimately from Old Norse). For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to add the cheesy “reborn” bit to make it quite clear that I wasn’t *actually* the 12th century priest. -Laʒamon Æft-iboren (talk) 16:43, 21 April 2022 (UTC)
Merry Christmas 2021 Edit
Need feedback Edit
Ela, Laʒamon Æft-iboren, iʒ habbe call'd min atencioun to ðine fin trametes þou hast meced on ðis Midel Englishe Wikipedia, most i'ðe erlie kindes, abot xj to xji sentvrie. iʒ haf writ'n a smal tramet in ðæt tide, a ðinge hvic iʒ haf neuere don bifore, ec iʒ wolde akcepten ðin vjew on hit. Iʒ kepen hit her at User:Amicus111/Psychiatry. Thanks, 𝑨𝒎𝒊𝒄𝒖𝒔 (𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐤) 22:10, 25 March 2022 (UTC)
- Ƿes þu hal, Template:Wp/enm/Ping! Ich þanke ðé for þine freondliche ƿordes! Ic am sariȝ ðat ic ȝeve andswere sƿa late. Æbære is me ðat þu werkest on þis tramet mid micle swinc, þat quemeð me sƿiþe. Bliðeliche wille ic sellen þé mine iþohtes þæron. Soðliche sah ic þi tramet ær ðat ic sah ðis selve ƿrit! Þa ich hit rædde, þa þohte ic sone ðat hit ærlich Englisc ƿære, forði hafst þu sikerliche an gód evene imaked for þe nanes.
- Mi formest ræd to þé is ðat ði kyre of ƿordes is oft to newe for anno dominj m til mcc. Ðu nittest wel ilome Frenchisce wordes þe ne wæren ærest on Englisce iƿriten til an hvndred ȝære latre oþer mare. Sƿilce ƿordes þinkeð man selcuþe amanges þin ærlich ƿis to ƿríten, swa bisne ðe cyre of staves for ƿordes, forþi þæt fæwe Frenchisce wordes beon on þis tide on Englisce. Ƿunelice, míþe ich wordes þe firste iƿriten wæren over abuten lx oðer lxxx ȝær siðen þe tide ic ƿríte bi, ȝif hi beon of elreordie landes icumen.
- Hwenen secest þu after ænne word ðe þu ne ȝet ƿast? Ic ðé ræde ðat þu ðe “Middle English Compendium” nitte, þenen me mæȝ finden hƿanne ƿriteres ei word writen. Ec þu sculdest behalden “englesaxe” þe webstoƿ ȝif ðu ne ær ne dyde. Ic athalde awenden ði tramet ane ðrage, ðat þu mote þus, for to goden þi creft.
- Let me know if you’d like a modern translation! -Laʒamon Æft-iboren (talk) 17:06, 21 April 2022 (UTC)
Hi again Edit
Amicus saw one of your comments on YouTube.Glad you've improved your pronunciation of "Mirie" since your old version! If you ever feel the need to make a third version, I would recommend pronouncing the "ch" in "necheð" and "nicht" like the German "ich" (I.P.A. [ç]), but in "ich" and "michel" like the modern English "ch", and pronounce the "r" on the end of "weder" and the "w" in "wrong".
Thanks for your fascinating research and interpretation!
184.108.40.206 15:33, 16 June 2022 (UTC)
I forgot to ask... was this you? 220.127.116.11 19:59, 21 June 2022 (UTC)